Certified Facility Manager (CFM,IFMA-USA)
The Certified Facility Manager® (CFM) credential sets the industry standard for ensuring the knowledge and competence of practicing facility managers.
IFMA’s certification process is designed to assess competency in the field through work experience, education and the ability to pass a comprehensive exam that covers 11 competencies that make up the facility management body of knowledge. Since the program began in 1992, more than 3,100 facility managers from 32 countries have achieved this prestigious recognition.
Value of the CFM credential
“You have a great job. Your employer is rock solid. Your last performance rating was excellent and the future looks bright. One day, you go to work and your job no longer exists. It happens easier and faster than you can imagine.
When you enter a tight job market, what will distinguish you from the crowd? Employers look for leaders and demonstrated skill in an area of practice. Your CFM shows you have the interest and skill in facility management to be the best. It shows you have the tenacity to keep those skills sharp year after year.
What better example of leadership than to choose to be the best and advertise it.
When I entered the job market after years with the same job, I was very concerned about my marketability. How could I be sure my skills would translate to a new place and were they even still valid in the current market? By becoming a CFM and maintaining the designation, I was forced to update my skills yearly to keep the designation. Without realizing it, I was preparing for the day when a job change became essential.
Where would I be now if I had been forced to find a new job and had not stayed current in my profession? How could I answer a prospective employer’s questions about my education in facility management? What could I offer to separate me from the pack? A CFM is more important than you think!”
Contributed by – Christine H. Neldon, CFM, IFMA Fellow, Regional Project Manager for Travelers
Who should attend ?
Designers and Safety Engineers
Operations and Maintenance
Finance and Business
Leadership and Strategy
Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability
Emergency Preparedness and Business Continuity
Real Estate and Property Management
Master Degree / Bachelor Degree : 3 Year Experience
Other Degree: 5 Year Experience
Once approved, you will receive an email with instructions for registering for the exam. You will need to schedule and pass the exam.
The CFM application should be completed only when you are sure that you are ready to sit for the exam. If you need assistance in determining whether your education and experience fit the exam requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
CFM exam application fee
- $550 – for IFMA members
- $815 -Non-members
- Competency-Based Exam
- Timed: 4 Hours, 180 multiple choice questions
- Delivered via Prometric Testing
- 70% correct to pass
1. Communication—Communication plans and processes for both internal and external stakeholders
2. Technology— Facility management technology, workplace management systems
3. Finance & Business — Strategic plans, budgets, financial analyses, procurement
4. Quality —Best practices, process improvements, audits and measurements
5. Real Estate and Property Management —Real estate planning, acquisition, and disposition
6. Human Factors—Healthful and save the environment, security, FM employee development
7. Project Management—Oversight and management of all projects and related contracts
8. Leadership and Strategy—Strategic planning, organize, staff and lead organizations
9. Operations and Maintenance —Building operations and maintenance, occupant services
10. Emergency Preparedness and Business Continuity —Emergency and risk management plans and procedures(new competency )
11. Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability—Sustainable
CFM ( IFMA)